Saturday, April 5, 2014

About Trust, Faith and Clarity

A short while ago, I was preparing my notes on Matthew chapter 12 during the weeks leading up to a bible study meeting.

One of the discussion points referred to verses 38-42.
“An evil and adulterous generation seeks after a sign…” So is it wrong to ask for a sign?

My initial thoughts were "What's wrong with asking for a sign?" Jonathan asked for a sign (1 Samuel 14:8-10) and Gideon asked for repeated signs (Judges 6).

My conviction at that time was "it is alright to ask for a sign when you are ready to believe the sign and are ready to carry out God’s will." Usually seeking a direction or making a decision. The core motivation has be “I want to keep in alignment with God”.

Some call it “putting out a fleece” with reference to Gideon. Much like randomly picking a bible verse or tossing a coin. In this time of grace, it is alright as a tool for discerning God’s will for an early or young believer. However, I am now of the opinion that the need to “put out a fleece” should diminish with an increase in spiritual maturity and with increased intimacy with God.

I feel that the underlying thought of many when ask for a sign is  "I want/need to make sure I get a good deal" or to "Ensure a way to a better life".

For Example:
Will my work life be pleasant if I choose to accept this job offer?
Will my marriage life work or be happy, if I choose to marry this person?
Will my kid have a good future if I choose to enrol them in a particular school?
God help me choose the way to a better life please....

I too have been guilty of such prayers, many many times. Praying "Dear Father in heaven, grant me clarity to decide!". I have even used a coin toss. "God, heads I will do this, tails I will do that. Please help me decide!".

A common occurrence would be, we have already decided in our hearts what we want to do. Which job we want to take and which guy/girl we want to marry etc... We just want some form reassurance from God.

"What is so bad about seeking reassurances?" some may ask. Well I am convicted that we should have already been assured of God's Love for us and that he will never forsake us. God in his grace may indulge us in our need for reassurances but as we grow closer to God is there continued need for it? Many in our own insecure way, we continually seek God's assurances. As a young believer, I believe that its alright, but as we grow in the faith, there should be a growing trust the Lord and therefore less need to "divine" his will.

God’s isn’t a vending machine just sitting there to dispense what we want, when we want. (Note the use of the word want as opposed to need, as I firmly believe we already have and will always have what we need through the Love and Grace of Our father in Heaven.) God is not at our beck and call, but rather it is the other way around! We are at God’s beck and call. We are supposed to do what he wants, when he wants. But God is a perfect gentleman and does not force is will onto us.

This ends my notes for that word study "homework" I was writing about earlier.

A few days after that, my wife shared with me an article she read about praying for clarity and trusting God. The article concluded that trust is what we should have and therefore we do not need to be praying for clarity. If we lack trust in God, then we should be praying for trust instead. Once we are able to trust the Father in Heaven wholly and completely, clarity will come.

Signs are not there to help you believe. I am now convicted that picking out a random bible verse or tossing a coin to seek assurances for our decisions, is akin to divination. If you want a sign to know what the future holds then where is part where we are working out our faith? Where is the trust in God as you take a step forward day after day?

Proverbs 3:5-6 (NIV)
5 Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding;
6 in all your ways submit to him, and he will make your paths straight.

Take for example players in a team sport, say football (Or soccer in the U.S. and Australia). The greater the closeness between the players, the less assurances they need from a teammate with regard to a certain move or tactic during a match. At some point, you may hear game commentators use the words "almost telepathic" connection between two players. If Player A makes a certain move, then his teammate player B will execute a complimentary move and this complimentary move differs with each match, but there will be basic fundamentals that govern these moves. Player A knows this and has full trust that his teammate will not fail him. If you follow any kind of team sport at the highest level, you will observe this from time to time. This level of understanding and trust comes with a high degree of training and working out together as a team. The very same thing can be said for our relationship with God. You cannot go through life thinking that you are on your own, but always be aware that you have a teammate along with you all the way. The perfect teammate to have who will complement your every move, trust Him.

In the article about trust that my wife shared with me, the author referenced the book "Ruthless Trust" as a book that challenged my "perspective of God".

John 14:1-3
Do not let your hearts be troubled. You believe in God; believe also in me. (Jesus)

No comments:

Post a Comment